This week, we looked at the availability of food in inner-city Winnipeg.
This episode includes:
- Brynna introduces the three pillars of food security.
- Taylor points to the inspirations for this episode:
- Extra Foods on Main St will close its doors by the end of March, but
- Neechi Commons will have its grand opening on March 19.
- Jasmine Tara of the North End Food Security Network explains the services they provide, including food boxes and a grocery shuttle.
- Iain Brynjolson of Food For Folks and Neechi Commons' produce manager talks about his experiences of providing locally grown food through community initiatives he's been a part of.
- Photographer Warren Humeny and collaborator/partner Jennifer Sparrling talk about their neighbourhood grocery store closing down, how it affected their lives, and the lives of the employees.
- In between, we listen to TWIN all hour long. Previously, TWIN's Dave Fort has organized seed exchanges on their canoe tour.
- This week's Uniter has an article on a residents association letter writing campaign for more food options downtown.
- B mentioned the Manitoba Food Charter, which aims for sustainability and healthy relationships between consumers and their food.
Does Taylor lose the game? Y/N